Sunday, October 19, 2014

Brush Cleaning Day




Happy Sunday! And for me, Happy Brush Cleaning Day! Sounds exciting right? Yeah, I know - cleaning our makeup brushes is the biggest chore of being a makeup lover but it's gotta be done! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hygienic brushes and keeping clean but the whole process is just so... blah. So pop on a YT video or get involved in the new season of The Vampire Diaries (yes, still obsessed) and get swirling!

My favourite soap to use to get all that dirt and grime from those bristles is by far anything from Dr Bronner and his Magic Soap. This is stuff rocks. I really would say this is the best soap to use for cleaning makeup brushes. You need the tiniest bit to completely blitz one - plus it can be used for pretty much anything, including on your hair and body - which makes it great value for money. I recently restocked with Dr Bronner's Magic Soap Almond, which smells insane, and cost me £6.99 from TK Maxx. Always worth checking out TK Maxx for things like this, you'll get them for a much better price. I've previously used the lavender one too which is just as lovely and, despite it being the smaller bottle, it lasted me something crazy like a year. 

My method? Well it's pretty basic. I run the tap to a warm-hot temperature, wet the brush then add a drop of the soap straight onto the bristles. Then I just swish it around in the palm of my hand till it foams up and then rinse it through. Make sure all the soap suds are out before reshaping and putting to one side to dry. Sometimes it takes a few more rounds of cleansing to get things like my foundation brushes squeaky clean but this soap is the best for making a boring task go a little quicker. (That and the sight of Matt Donovan on my laptop screen - yes, TVD again.)

To dry them? There's a few different options but the one I tend to go for is laying a towel on a window sill, preferably above a radiator, and resting them flat so that the bristles sit over the edge - as you can see in the pictures. This means the shape doesn't get distorted, any water isn't left lingering around the base risking the glue coming undone and if you pop your heating on a little things will dry much quicker. 

I won't lie, it still takes me around half an hour to clean my handful of brushes and my back kills like a bitch after leaning over the sink for that amount of time but it's just one of those things. Like shaving your legs. Or going to the gym. Blergh.

I'd love to hear any suggestions on other ways to clean my makeup brushes!

Ax

No comments:

Post a Comment