Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Top Picks of 2013


I didn't think I'd be putting one of these together, but as I put my face on this morning I realised there were a fair few awesome discoveries in 2013. So here's a quick run down of my favourites that hardly left my side.

Top Primer Clinique Superprimer Colour Correct Redness (£20.00)
2nd Place: Seventeen Skin Wow
Now this was something I was lusting over for weeks before it was released and it really was so worth the wait. I'm not a fan of gel/silicone primers so the cream texture of Clinique's Superprimer was ideal - it's super velvety and feels beautiful on the skin. I have the redness correction one to battle my rosy cheeks and am super happy with the results. There's a few more in the range too so worth checking out.

Top Base Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream in Light (£28.00)
2nd Place: Bourjois Happy Light Foundation
Having never got along with BB creams, I was certain me and CC creams wouldn't fare any better - how wrong I was! There wasn't a day that passed during spring/summer that the Clinique CC Cream wasn't on my face. I've recently started using it again as, although it doesn't give the amount of coverage I'd normally opt for in winter, it's perfect for my dehydrated skin at the moment. Read a full rave review here.

Top Concealer L'Oreal Lumi Magique Illuminating Concealer (£8.49)
2nd Place: 17 Stay Time 18 Hour Concealer
This discovery was partly down to Estee and her raving about it but I am so glad she did! L'Oreal's Lumi Magique such a wonderful product for under the eyes and to run down your nose, centre of the forehead and top lip to try and embrace your inner Kardashian - a girl can try. It's super inexpensive and I've gone through a few of these in the second half of 2013 with it staying put in my every day makeup stash. I raved about it as a sleepless night saviour here.

Top Powder Soap & Glory Kick Ass (£12.00)
2nd Place: Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
I am so obsessed with Soap & Glory's Kick Ass Pressed Powder! I love the finished look because it' not cakey and helps balance the skin. It's translucent but slightly yellow toned which further helps with the redness in my skin. I just pop some of this on my t-zone and a little under my eyes and I don't touch it all day.

Top Bronzer NARS Laguna Bronzer (£26.00)
2nd Place: MAC Hibiscus Kiss (RiRi Collection)
Another latecomer but one that blew the competition out the water was NARS Laguna Bronzer. A complete cult product across the board but one I'd never got involved with. Laguna is super special. It's not orangey and adding the perfect amount to contour with my Real Techniques Contour Brush gives the perfect look for day-to-day bronzing. Seriously, why did it take me so long?

Top Blusher Rimmel Stay Blushed in Sunkissed Cherry (£4.49)
2nd Place: MAC The Perfect Cheek (Marilyn Monroe Collection)
This one started as an impulse Boots buy - I'd not read any reviews or seen swatches but I was really impressed by Rimmel's Stay Blushed. The colour is perfect for my skin tone and I've worn it pretty much every day since getting it. I apply it with my Real Techniques Stippling Brush and it stays put all day. I real bargain and one of many brilliant releases from Rimmel this year.

Top Highlighter Benefit Watts Up (£24.50)
2nd Place: Soap & Glory Glow All Out
I'm much more akin to a creamy highlighter for my cheeks as it's so easy to work with and I feel like it looks much more natural. The Benefit Watts Up is a beautiful champagne colour - again adding to a natural effect. I simply use my finger to lightly blend over the cheekbones, down my nose and a little under the brow. It may be a tad more pricey than I'd usually go for, but it's so worth it!

Top Eyeshadow Maybelline Expert Wear in Iced Fudge (£4.09)
2nd Place: Maybelline Color Tattoo in On and On Bronze
Ohhh this eyeshadow is just perfect! I shout out to Kate for bringing Maybelline's Iced Fudge to my attention. It's the ideal swipe and go shadow that look great all over the lid, blended lightly into the crease, with liner, without liner.. the options are endless! I'd describe it as a washed out bronze which I think is what makes it so wearable. Plus, can't grumble at the price.

Top Liner L'Oreal Superliner Perfect Slim (£6.99)
2nd Place: Soap & Glory Supercat
This was a tough call but L'Oreal's Superliner just scraped the top spot because of how slim the pen nib is. A winged liner is pretty much my uniform and I feel strange not wearing it, so it's safe to say I've tried my fair share of liners... this one allows me to create a more natural look with a really fine line or amp it up for more drama. The long, slim nib makes getting that cat-eye effect super duper easy, too! Oh, and it's super long-wearing. Tick, tick, tick.

Top Mascara L'oreal Voluminous (£7.25)
2nd Place: Lancome Hypnose
Again, another toughie but L'Oreal Voluminous takes the gold for the affordability. It seems L'Oreal impressed me hugely in 2013, without even realising it, but this is the closet dupe I found for my beloved Hypnose. I love a really built up lash look, erring on the side of clumpy, and this gives me that really easily without spending too long on it. I can't believe I've found a mascara I've actually repurchased - that is definitely a first for a long while!

Top Lipstick MAC Rebel (£15.00)
2nd Place: Revlon Just Bittem Kissable Balm Stain in Darling
Well then... Rebel, Rebel, Rebel what a beauty you are. I can't even remember the amount of times I've whipped this out in a last ditch attempt to finish a look off, lift my look after work or just reached for without thinking twice. It's the perfect plum-red thats super wearable for any occasion and the formula is just, ah - amazing! There are many MAC lipsticks I could pick but this is definitely my most worn of 2013. And it's carried on into 2014 seamlessly. I'm a self-confessed lipstick whore so if you want a post on my top lipsticks, let me know.


The picture up there has me wearing all of this lovely shtuff!

So there you have it, my favourites of 2013! Did any of these make your lists? What else were your favourites?

Ax

No comments:

Post a Comment